Monday, January 18, 2010

blankets

Technically, this story isn't mine to tell. It was told by Pastor Larry, and I didn't even hear it from him ... I heard it from someone else. I may not even have all the details just right. But the punchline ... just a few words ... they've been ringing in my ears since I heard them.

A pastor from Uganda, Pastor Richard, came to The Woodlands to visit PL. Old friends, I believe. It had been a very cold week here, below freezing for several days in a row. Plants and pipes were draped with sheets to prevent damage. PL took Pastor Richard out to lunch after church on Sunday and on the way home Pastor Richard stared out the truck window.

"It's amazing," he said. "Even your plants have blankets."

Jesus, open our eyes.
Beyond this place,
our jobs, our schools, our streets, our sickness.
Beyond our friends, our own families,
Fox news, local radio.
Beyond our town
our state
our country.
Across oceans
to places we can't image.
Give us a passion.
A prayer.
A love for the nations.
Make us care, sweet Jesus.
Our plants have blankets.

I'm sure there are many trustworthy organizations through which to donate money to a Haiti relief fund. But here's one that I know, personally, has a love for the nations. www.iamchange.org/haiti


No comments:

Post a Comment